Sunday, March 25, 2012

Aliens - As I Lay Me Down to Sleep

So, I gotta take a second as I am getting ready for bed and thinking a lot about aliens.  Not so much the Ridley Scott aliens but rather the aliens that we keep hearing about in pop culture - UFOs, Area 51 and all of that.

I personally believe that UFOs do exist and aliens have probably landed on Earth in the last 10,000 years.  What I find interesting is the amount of page space / TV time that aliens are getting right now.  Is it because of 2012?  Have we as a culture engaged our apocalyptic paranoia and all this alien stuff is an off-shoot of that?

Not too sure.  I think there may be an uptick in that because of the impending "end of the world" but I also feel like its almost a marketing gimmick.  I mean, I watch Ancient Aliens on H2 and many others do too.  Its always a safe seller, much like vampires, witches and demons......

Another way to think on it is that UFO activity always is a part of our culture and it also adds a nice hint in troubled times that the universe is bigger than what we see in front of us every day.

On the back side of that however, is it a way to wash away the attention where it needs to go....or as our pal Octavius aka Caesar Augustus would say, pane et circus - a grand distraction away from the harsh realities of our everyday world.

What do you guys think?

RHW

No comments:

Post a Comment