Friday, April 20, 2012

Dangerous Demons: City of Light & Shadow

Another new book, children.  It's very exciting.  This one is an intriguing much more fantasy / sci-fi tip for me....Not so much the vampire, witch or demon....more sword and sandal really.

I will be frank that I did not read the first two books in this series - I KNOW! - I hate it too.

That being said though, I didn't find myself so upset that I was missing elements.  We meet Tom the ironic hero who is learning from his goddess how to save the City of a Hundred Rows.  In the meantime, the world is falling apart between the bone flu and the Rust Warriors, an offshoot of those who died of bone flu.  While the City erupts in chaos, Tom returns, reuniting with his friend from Under City Kat who is now the Death Queen of the warriors in the Pit.  Between their hard work and the machinations from above the two must overcome the Demon in the system and refresh the Core before all is too late.

I have to say that what appeals to me besides coming back home to fantasy / sci-fi is the well crafted world and the exquisite dance of politics that put me in mind of Dune.

Read it, children!
XX
RHW


City of Light and Shadow: City of a Hundred Rows, Book 3 (The City of a Hundred Rows)
By: Ian Whates
Published: Dec 27, 2011, Angry Robot
ISBN: 978-0857661906

No comments:

Post a Comment